Sunday, April 19, 2009

To Ushaw

On a brighter note I am looking forward very much to the week ahead at Ushaw. Twenty-one priests have signed up for the LMS training course and I look forward to a week with good company. The first item on the timetable is Solemn High Mass tomorrow at 11am and I have the privilege of being celebrant: I never thought I`d see the day when I would do this at the high altar in St Cuthbert`s chapel.
During the week I was contacted by the Schola Gregoriana of Cambridge`s organiser of their study weekend at Ushaw in June where I`ll be subdeacon at another High Mass, so that is something else to look forward to.
Let`s hope the LMS conference goes very well and becomes an annual event.

5 comments:

1569 Rising said...

I, too, am looking forward to the Ushaw LMS conference. I shall only be able to be present at one of the Masses, that of Tuesday, when I shall turn up with my Liber, ready to join in Lux et Origo.
I can think of no more suitable setting for an EF High Mass than St Cuthbert's Chapel. I never thought I would see the day when such a thing would be possible, God moves in mysterious ways, thank God.

Augustinus said...

My prayers are with you, Father, as you celebrate this Mass and pass on your learning to others.

I wish I could be there.

Thomas More said...

I also wish I could be there.

I hope it is a great success and will inspire priests to have a love for the traditional liturgy and music of the Church.

Anonymous said...

Well Fr be sure & post all!

English Pastor said...

I am surprised this event has not been more evident in the blogsphere since Ushaw (properly called St Cuthbert's College) has a tremendous history. It is one of the two seminaries founded on the return of the students from Douai College which spawned many matryrs; it had John Lingard as its Vice-President (he who composed the famous "Hail Queen of heaven"); it has produced several Cardinals of distinction (Wiseman, De la Puente and Bourne, not forgetting Cardinal Merry del val who was Secretary to Pope St Piuys X). Its collection of relics is tremendous and though today it has very few students, its heritage is second to none in the UK.