Thursday, August 16, 2007

Church architecture


Yesterday I received my copy of `No place for God: the denial of the transcendent in modern church architecture` by Moyra Doorly, an English Catholic architect. It is published by Ignatius Press. I look forward to starting it next week once I have finished the book for the parish reading group meeting on Tuesday. We are reading Pilate the biography of an invented man by Ann Wroe. Maybe Moyra Doorly`s book could be the next book for the group. It chronicles the familiar story of the creation of Brutalist and baffling new churches and the destruction of the interiors of existing Catholic churches which has taken place over the last forty years and which shows little sign of abating. On the dellachiesa blog which I discovered tonight I saw a link to this story about Fulton Sheen`s cathedral in Rochester, New York.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting that you have a reading group..we have a Catholic Women's Book Club. In September we're doing the Pope's Jesus of Nazareth...the books you mention sound interesting..

Ben Trovato said...

INtersting to read this as I just posted on my blog about what seemed to me an example of heretical Church architecture in Scotland.... Especially the deliberately horizontal design of the Church in question.

Fr Michael Brown said...

Thanks Jackie. We have our meeting tonight and I`ve still 130 pages to go. I did read the book a few years ago. Which books have you been reading recently? Any suggetions may help us along.

Fr Michael Brown said...

Ben I`d recommend the Doorly book for your situation. I`ve not got to grips with it properly yet but she seems to take a long run at her subject as the first chapter takes the reader through Einstein`s theory of Relativity and the teachings of Theosophy!