Friday, August 17, 2007

Cardinal Lustiger

I must admit I didn`t know very much about the recently deceased Cardinal Lustiger but today I found this reminiscence on the Laus Crucis blog of a Passionist priest which I thought was interesting:

I remember well his homily at the Chrism Mass the year I left Paris (1996) at which he told us that the Diocese of Paris was now ordaining more priests per year than at any time since the French Revolution. A great promoter of vocations and supporter of young priests (-he ordained two hundred and thirty priests in his twenty four years as Archbishop of Paris), he went on in his homily to address the older priests of the diocese, reminding them that, when many of them had been young priests in the 1960s, the old parish priests had tolerated their ways of doing things and had allowed them the freedom to be priests of a different style; then he asked, “And will you not do the same for the young priests of today?”

May he rest in peace.

No comments: