Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The Assumption

How wonderful to read on Fr Zuhldorf`s blog that Cardinal O`Brien of Edinburgh was present at the traditional Mass of the Assumption in that city tonight celebrated at the church where Fr Emerson of the FSSP has a Sunday Mass. What a marvellous example for other bishops. I just got back from Edinburgh yesterday after a couple of days at the Festival with Fr Briggs of Chislehurst. I would have liked to have had a couple more days in Edinburgh but had to get back for the Holyday of Obligation.

Tonight I filled in at the traditional Mass at Ryhope as the normal celebrant of the monthly Mass, Fr Phillips, was away. St Patrick`s at Ryhope is a lovely church. I wish I had taken my camera tonight. The former parish priest Fr Elkin re-introduced the traditional Mass in the 1990`s (and now continues to celebrate a Sunday Mass in his present parish at Barnard Castle. He is at present the only parish priest in the diocese to celebrate a traditional Mass every Sunday in his own parish. I had shared that privilege with him until my move in 2005. Fr Dixon at St Joseph`s Gateshead celebrates some Sundays.) He was followed by Fr Percy, a convert clergyman, who died in 2005 but who left money for the church to be restored. The sanctuary carpet is, I am delighted to hear, about to replaced with a marble floor.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

All very encouraging!

Alnwickian said...

Excellent news about Cardinal O'Brien presiding at Fr EMerson's Mass in Edinburgh.

I hope that Fr E's excellent musicians Hugh D'Arcy and Rory Lucas were in fine voice for His Eminence!

And I hope that they were not subjected to the appalling rudeness and ingratitude that other singers of traditional music have had to suffer at the hands of certain bishops...

Anonymous said...

I have met Cardinal O'Brien a few times and on all occasions I was impressed by how holy he is and his wonderful sermons. It does not surprise me in the least that he was present at the tradition Mass for the Assumption. He is a marvellous example to others.

Talking of the Assumption, I attended a beautiful Mass in Austria where everyone was in traditional Austrian dress; children carried beautiful bouquets of flowers; there was a wonderful atmosphere. It is amazing how well behaved the children are - not rolling around the benches or bringing toys, running out to the facilities every 2 minutes etc. In addition all members of the congregation showed the utmost reverence for the blessed sacrament at all times. There was no talking at all before, during or after Mass. It reminds me of how far some parishes have strayed......

Fr Michael Brown said...

That sounds like it was a wonderful Mass in Austria. You were lucky. That not all is well in Austria is often shown on http://cathcon.blogspot.com/2007/08/night-of-living-dead.html

Anonymous said...

In all the time I have been going to Austria I have never seen any abuses of the liturgy at all, never mind anything approaching the dreadful examples on the cathcon blogspot, which mainly refer to Burgenland and the city of Linz.
I have attended many Masses in Tirol and Salzburgerland which were all traditional and very moving. The belief of the people and reverence is tangible.

Fr Michael Brown said...

I`m delighted to hear about your positive experiences in Austria. I`m sure the music will be good too!