Monday, July 30, 2007

The Icon Fund

Yesterday afternoon the parish braved the changeable weather to have a strawberry tea after Sunday Benediction. Unfortunately no sooner had everyone sat down in the garden than there was an intense downpour and we had to transfer to the parish hall. The rain only lasted about five minutes and then the sun came out again. Here are some pictures of the tea party. This gallant band raised £100 for the icon fund we have at the minute. The total stands at about £900 at the minute and the total we need to reach is £2000.


This weekend I was happy to receive from Sr Petra Clare a copy of a previous icon she has produced which will be the model for the icons we hope to have placed behind the altar. The plan is to have the first and last mysteries of the Rosary. I had thought to have the Annunciation on one side of the tabernacle and the Coronation of the Virgin on the other but when Sister came to see the church and noticed the pattern of the glass in the wooden shutters she came up with the idea of having the Annunciation at the bottom and the Coronation above this with the figures repeating the shape of the coloured glass panels in the wood.



This is the picture Sister sent which will be the basis for what we hope to have.











9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed your comments Father, as you say the rain poured down but it didn't spoil the atmosphere in fact it added to it, as is usual at St Mary's the truly loyal parishioners just got on with things and carried on under cover enjoying the happy party atmosphere as if nothing had happened. Without fail everyone commentated before leaving how much they had enjoyed the afternoon and were asking how quickly there would be another event. It was noticeable how many parishioners were absent which was a pity as we must all try to support each others fund raising efforts but the parishioners and friends who did support the event certainly showed their appreciation by the magnificent amount donated.

Anonymous said...

i like it!

Anonymous said...

I am sorry I missed it all I was unable to attend but have heard it was a super afternoon. Well done to the ladies & men (if any) who done the work and to Father Brown for allowing it. I hope I can be at the next celebration. By the way was Dizzy there? it wouldn't be a party without Dizzy.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful icon, Father. I'm sure it will enhance st Mary's.

Have you thought about appealing for funds via the blog? Perhaps a PayPal Account? Just a thought.

Fr Michael Brown said...

Silent witness, Dizzy was doing his best to be involved. It`s hard to keep him away from anything that is going on. He loves meeting new people and probably enjoyed some cream too.

Fr Michael Brown said...

Thanks Jackie and Augustinus. I`ve been very impressed by previous work I`ve asked Sr Petra Clare to do. Her icons have always exceeded my expectations. I`m not sure about paypal: I don`t want to complicate my tax arrangements.

Anonymous said...

I don't wish to say who I am but I was at the strawberry tea on Sunday it was truly lovely, the girls involved always put their heart and soul into everything they do and are an asset to the parish, they were so anxious that everyone was comfortable and well fed. God Bless them. Hope you appreciate them and know how lucky you are Father Brown to have them at your side supporting you on your very difficult journey in this parish. I have just found your blog thing do not really understand it all but a young relative is helping me, oh to bee 40 years younger.

Fr Michael Brown said...

Dear Anonymous, I`m glad you thought that the strawberry tea was a lovely event. I was very grateful to those who worked so hard to produce everything. It was a pity about the rain. I do appreciate support. Let`s hope things won`t be as difficult in the future as they were a couple of years ago.

Fr Michael Brown said...

Silent Witness i should just add that it was not that I allowed the tea on Sunday, but it was my idea in the first place! I had wondered whether to have it regularly as people often linger to talk after Benediction.