Friday, May 25, 2007

Grammar Schools

I have always been in favour of grammar schools. I went to St Cuthbert`s Grammar in Newcastle and thoroughly enjoyed it. It is well known they did a good job in getting working class children into the professions. As for the argument that it meant that an 11 year old child`s future was determined by the eleven plus exam, from what I remember it was possible for a child who was doing well at a secondary modern to transfer to a grammar school later on. However I was amazed by the recent upset in the Tory party to discover that they had still been in favour of them. I had no idea. Given that they did nothing to re-introduce them during their seventeen years in power I thought that they too had given up on them. I follow the debate with interest.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i enjoyed grammar school to..