Monday, July 26, 2010

Favourite Prayers Meme

I`m rather late to this and have been tagged three times but off the top of my head and as the rules exclude prayers from the liturgy I would say:

a) the Rosary,
b) May He support us all the day long, till the shades lengthen and the evening comes, and the busy world is hushed, and the fever of life is over, and our work is done. Then in His mercy may He give us a safe lodging, and a holy rest and peace at the last. (I always use this at funerals in the OF at the end of the bidding prayers.)
c) My Lord and my God, I firmly believe that you are here, that you see me, that you hear me. I adore you with profound reverence; I beg your pardon for my sins and the grace to spend this time of prayer fruitfully. My immaculate Mother, St Joseph, my father and lord, my guardian angel, intercede for me.

2 comments:

Torey said...

"My Lord and my God, I firmly believe that you are here, that you see me, that you hear me."It's such an astounding quote I may use it as my email signature.

Leo Darroch said...

When I was a young altar server in the 1950s I was enchanted by the language of Cardinal Wiseman's prayer which was recited at Benediction on the second Sunday of each month for the conversion of England and Wales. Cardinal Wiseman preached the first sermon at Blackhill St Mary's when it was opened in 1857 (I wasn't there). Perhaps this prayer could be resumed after Mass at least once a week because we certainly need converting nowadays. I always thought the most striking sentence was "Let not their memory perish before thee O Lord, but let their supplication enter daily into thy sight." Compare the wonderful and uplifting English in this prayer with the vernacular of the current liturgy.

O Merciful God, let the glorious intercession of Thy saints assist us, particularly the most blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of Thy only-begotten Son, and Thy holy Apostles, Peter and Paul, to whose patronage we humbly recommend this country. Be mindful of our fathers, Eleutherius, Celestine, and Gregory, bishops of the Holy City; of Augustine, Columba, and Aidan, who delivered to us inviolate the faith of the Holy Roman Church. Remember our holy martyrs, who shed their blood for Christ: especially our first martyr, Saint Alban, and Thy most glorious bishop, Saint Thomas of Canterbury. Remember all those holy confessors; bishops, and kings, all those holy monks and hermits, all those holy virgins and widows, who made this once an island of saints, illustrious by their glorious merits and virtues. Let not their memory perish from before Thee, O Lord, but let their supplication enter daily into Thy sight; and do Thou, who didst so often spare Thy sinful people for the sake of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, now, also, moved by the prayers of our fathers, reigning with Thee, have mercy upon us, save Thy people, and bless Thy inheritance; and suffer not those souls to perish, which Thy Son hath redeemed with His own most Precious Blood, Who liveth and reigneth with Thee, world without end. Amen.