Wednesday, March 25, 2009

LMS Training Conference for Priests at Ushaw: April 2009


I understand that preparations are going well for this conference in April. There are a few places still available for priests who would like to come. I also understand that the principal guest speaker on the evening of Wednesday 22nd April will be Lord Gill. I am told that:

Lord Gill has spoken previously at the AGM of the Latin Mass Society and served the wider traditional movement as a Councillor for the International Federation Una Voce. He is a Senator of the College of Justice in Scotland, since 1994; Lord Justice Clerk, since 2001; Chairman, Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama. The Rt Hon Lord Gill is in much demand as a speaker and he said he is delighted to be able to support such a worthy event as this LMS training course for priests.

6 comments:

Finian Kelly said...

Lord Gill is a good choice as guest speaker at Ushaw. However, the event appears to be shrouded in a certain amount of secrecy. Who are the other speakers and if Bishop Cunningham or another bishop is not to attend and/or speak, well, why not? If there is no bishop present at some stage of the proceedings then it will certainly appear as though the event does not have episcopal approval.

Fr Michael Brown said...

I don`t think there is any intentional secrecy. Lord Gill is the guest of honour and will speak at the dinner on the Wednesday night. Fr Thomas Crean will give a talk one day.

The problem with bishops is that it is Low Week so they will all be having their annual meeting. I`m sure bishop Cunningham will get an invitation nonetheless.

Anonymous said...

I had intended to go,but having recieved a letter informing me that I'm expected to wear a cassock at all times the LMS can go stuff themselves.At nearly fifty I don't expect to be treated like a school boy,but in that respect I think LMS and Ushaw have much in common!!

Fr Michael Brown said...

Were cassocks obligatory at Merton too? It`s the first I`ve heard of this.

ScepticalBeliever said...

The LMS have obviously thought that Anonymous is a cleric. If it is obligatory for all those attending to wear a cassock at all times then I echo Anonymous comments!

Fr Michael Brown said...

I did go to the Merton CIEL conference in 2006. I don`t remember anything being said about the need to wear a cassock but I found that I did most of the time. I can understand anonymous why this requirement can put people off but it seems a pity to miss what should be a very good week just because of this.