In the days when I used to go on the Paris to Chartres pilgrimage the question used to arise among the British pilgrims about whether this could be done at home. We don`t have the numbers of faithful attached to Tradition that exist in France and so anything would be on a small scale but the organisation would still be formidable.
However I was pleased to get an email to see that there is going to be an attempt to launch something similar in England by Paul Smeaton. I think it is particularly appropriate that there will be a Mass at Downham Market.Here is the text in full.
With the help of Joseph Shaw and the Latin Mass Society I have been organising a pilgrimage from Ely to Walsingham over from Friday 20th August to Sunday 22nd August. The pilgrimage has been inspired by the traditional pilgrimage which takes place each Pentecost from Paris to Chartres and will follow a similar three day model.
As this is the first time we have attempted anything like this in England, as well as a spiritual journey, this will no doubt be something of a learning experience. For that reason we are limiting this year's pilgrimage to thirty pilgrims and adults only. We hope that this will be the start of great things.That being said we expect that this year will be a rich and beautiful expression of the treasure's of our Church. We are blessed to have a priest walking the entire pilgrimage with us and there will be sung Mass in the traditional form each day: in Downham Market on Friday evening, in the chapel at Oxburgh Hall on the Saturday and in Walsingham on Sunday. We would love for you to join us.
What do you need to know?
- Pilgrims will meet at Ely campsite on the evening of Thursday 19th August. All pilgrims must have a tent to stay in. We will begin walking early on Friday morning.
- Pilgrims will be required to bring their own food. Water will be provided at regular intervals.
- There will be a bus that will take your main bag with tent etc in each day. Pilgrims are advised to bring a day bag to carry food, water etc.
- The final Sunday Mass will take place in Walsingham at 2.30pm on Sunday 22nd August. Following the Mass a coach will be available to bring pilgrims back to Ely.
- Should pilgrims be unable to walk for whatever reason there will be some vehichle support. However, as this first pilgrimage we are trying to minimise potential problems and ask that pilgrims wishing to come this year be confident walkers without any major health difficulties.
- Pilgrims will be asked to help cover the costs of the pilgrimage and pay for the camping facilities. The total cost of each pilgrim will be £60. We ask that pilgrims please pay what they can afford.
Should you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact me on firstname.lastname@example.org
I have other plans in August this year but would like to support this next year if it happens again.