Tuesday, September 11, 2007

North East Catholic History Society

On Wednesday night I attended the AGM of the North East Catholic History Society. I have been getting the magazine of the society since at least 1980 but had never attended a meeting until recently when I went to hear a fascinating talk by the chairman, Fr David Milburn, a few months ago, on Ushaw which offered his own reflections on his involvement with the college from the late 1930`s. Fr Milburn is the author of a history of Ushaw college, taught church history there, became vice-president and has for sixteen years been chairman of the society.

I had been asked a few months ago by Fr Milburn whether I would be willing to be chairman of the society as he was thinking of retiring. Although I do not have the credentials in history that he has ( I can only boast a joint honours Medieval History and Latin degree from St Andrews) I was delighted to be asked and look forward to getting involved in local Catholic history.

The Society hosts five talks a year and a number of outings to places of Catholic interest, often with a Mass. I`m very experienced now in packing everything but the kitchen sink to go and say Mass in historical locations so that may be my main qualification for the job!

No comments: