Saturday, November 04, 2006

Mr Luzar comes to town!

On All Souls day Mr Richard Luzar came to Newcastle for his twice yearly visit to Fr Swales at English Martyrs. I was looking forward to this for some time, since taking over at St Aidan`s, Benton, where I felt the need to provide a set of vestments of the kind I am happier with. I bought five of the basic Gothic chasuble sets and a gold one for Christmas and major feasts. I also bought sanctuary gongs for Benton and Longbenton. For St Mary`s, I wanted to get a monstrance stand for benediction as at present I use a chalice box and felt something more designed for the purpose was necessary. The picture shows what I bought and I was surprised to find it also doubles as a missal stand, although for the Novus Ordo, at present, the decorative side is not visible to the congregation. I was very tempted by a black Roman chasuble with a winged coffin and crossed scythes but managed to overcome temptation and settle for a new plain gold Roman vestment which will be useful for many major feasts.

5 comments:

Lawrence Lew OP said...

That is certainly a fantastic Tabor!

Fr Michael Brown said...

It certainly is. The monstrance looks rather lost on it!

biretta wearer said...

I realised today during Benediction that our monstrance looks rather tiny on the altar, dwarfed by the candelabra. Seems Mr Luzar is right out of Tabors at the moment!

Fr Michael Brown said...

Fear not, northern cleric, Mr Luzar says he will be getting more!

Lawrence Lew OP said...

I must confess that much as I love splendid church plate, I find - due to my own weakness - that these distract me from the Blessed Sacrament, so that rather than adoring the Lord, I am contemplating the beauty of the monstrance or Tabor!

As such, I now prefer the large and plain monstrance used by the likes of 'Youth 2000', which allows people like me to concentrate on Him more easily!